Tuesday, September 3, 2019

New Skirts!

These three new skirts all have one thing in common: I finished them, and then went back and took them apart again and altered them!


This first one is in a chambray linen with a geometric print. I used Simplicity 8019 and added a curved patch pocket and three 1/2" tucks at the hem. I also swapped out the straight waistband for a curved one for a nicer fit.

My silly mistake on this one was trusting the measurement chart. My waist and hip both fell perfectly into the same size, so I cut out the size indicated and went ahead. I like to wear my modern skirts just a little below the waist, and figured any ease would just make it sit lower.


Well I learned my lesson! The finished skirt was about 3 inches too big in the waist and I was swimming in it! It sat WAY too low on my hips for comfort. I picked out the stitching at the side seams and waistband, took it in, and sewed it back up. Now it's perfect!


The tucks at the hem are my favorite part! 


I made this yellow denim skirt for a work display a few months ago, from New Look 6346. (I probably could've ironed it for pictures, but let's get real: I'm not gonna iron it, like, ever. So this is true to reality!)


Like the linen skirt above, I cut out a larger size than I should have because I was following the chart. I ended up taking the waistband off and taking in the skirt and waistband seams, then reattaching it.


I made a pocket and fabric-covered buttons from a teal floral print that I thought coordinated well.


The denim is very crisp and I love the way it makes my skirt stand out!


This embroidered chambray skirt is a couple years old. I also initially made it for a work display - you can see the blog post here. 


The fit was fine on this skirt, but the wide, straight-cut waistband never sat right on my shape; the upper half of the waistband stood away from my body.


I replaced the wide, straight waistband with a narrower, curved one that contours around my shape much better. I also added the pockets that I initially left off. 

I decided to ditch the belt loops and sash from the original. They were cute but I don't often tuck my shirt in and they're lumpy otherwise.


So excited to have three new skirts in my wardrobe, all in great weights for fall layering!

No comments:

Post a Comment