Sunday, July 14, 2019

Here's a purse

I finished this new purse!


Making bags and purses is really fun. It's such a different thing than garment sewing. This one is made from two Japanese linen/cotton blends, interlined with plain linen, lined in leftover yellow denim. 

I didn't use any fusibles in this one at all, and there is nothing synthetic except the zippers. I've always preferred natural fibers, but right now I'm trying to eliminate as much synthetic stuff as possible, including interfacings.


I based the pattern on the last purse I made, but made it ever so slightly larger and curved the top edge a little. Here's the last purse, from 2014:


And again after 5 years of use (it obviously only really lasted 4, and it's been in rags for the last year!):


Here you can see the scale. I like a fairly big purse that I can fit a ton of crap in when I need to! Also I love this pic because my hair looks real big. :)


Goofy faces at my daughter as she was taking pictures of me.


I used the same concealed top zipper method as my last purse, which I learned in the book The Bag Making Bible by Lisa Lam - I definitely recommend this book if you want to sew bags!


For this technique, you sew two nicely finished strips to the sides of the zipper, and hide the end with a little fabric tab. Then you attach that whole unit to the lining a couple inches down from the top edge. 


I got this metal zipper for free while ago; I think it may have originally been a separating zipper but it had the end cut off and sewed over. I like the heft of the metal teeth!

The front pocket is ONLY for keys and lip balm, like the last purse. No digging for my lost essentials in the bottom! It has darts in each corner to give it more space.


Hopefully this purse lasts me another four years, like the last one!

No comments:

Post a Comment