Friday, January 11, 2019

UFO: Little White Dress Progress

Today's UFO January project is a little white regency dress I started way back in 2015.

I started out with a pattern from Janet Arnold's Patterns of Fashion and 4 yards of cotton dotted Swiss fabric. The design is a drop-front style, which was new to me. I love it because it's clever and I can do it up by myself.

My plan was to entirely hand-sew this!

20150312_132246

This project has hibernated for a while as I've picked it up and put it down again. For this year's UFO January, I really wanted to get it done. The only thing left to sew is the hem!

This is the first time I've tried the whole thing on! I pinned in the hem to check the length and I'm really liking the whole look!




Arm movement range is moderate. I think I could drive and eat!



I threw on a red shawl just for funsies. I'll need a jewelry plan (and some gloves!) to complete the look. And of course hem it!


 A few construction shots. White on white is hard to see! I gave the skirt seams a clean finish with a faux-French technique. First I sewed the seam with a combination running/backstitch, then I pressed the seam allowance edges in toward each other and whipped the folds together to enclose the raw edges.


The finished seam is about 1/4" wide.



At the top of each side I made a placket for a modest overlap.


I've started hemming it, and I'm about 1/4 of the way around. So close! 


I probably won't get a chance to put this on and take nice pictures until an event in April, but it will feel good to cross it off the list!

No comments:

Post a Comment