Friday, December 7, 2018

Baby Quilt for a New Niece

Over the summer I made a simple quilt for my sister's new baby.


My sister picked out the color scheme entirely. Normally I'd go for brights, not pastels, so I have to admit it was a little tough for me to design with these colors. But by the time I was done, I liked it. 

The pattern is just 3" squares, with every other square alternated between a print and a light grey solid. I had about 18 fabrics, but I could have had way more! I was hoping for a very scrappy/charm look and I was hoping for fewer repeats.


The binding was made of pieced scraps. I rounded the corners off - I love the rounded look on a baby quilt! Plus there's no miters to have to sew!


A little detail of the quilting. Just an allover meandering pattern like I like!


This is the first time I've ever bothered to do a pieced back, and it was purely out of need! I ran short of the grey solid but I had plenty of little printed squares leftover, so here we are. I was extra cautious laying out the quilt sandwich so that the pieced row remained straight.


I made an inscription block with her name and birth date. (I blurred out her middle and last name here.) I made the text in Word, picked a pretty font, added a little graphic, and printed it. I taped the printout to my work table and taped a piece of white cotton over it. Then I used a Tee Juice permanent fabric marker to trace around everything. I turned the edges of the block under and hand sewed it to the quilt after I quilted it.


So far it's getting plenty of use!

No comments:

Post a Comment