Tuesday, November 3, 2015

A green lace dress

Historic sewing is my one true sewing love, but sometimes I make modern things.

Okay, I really should say I make modern things quite often. My machine stays very busy on pajama pants, cute skirts for everyday wear, craft projects, and household mending. But most of that isn't very blog-worthy. Only once in a while do I sew a modern project that's worth sharing. I think this dress qualifies.


I made this dress for a display garment for work. It's made of olive green lace underlined with pale green silk shantung. I used New Look 6370, a dress with a princess-seamed bodice, waist seam, gathered skirt, and half-length sleeves. I made no alterations to this pattern, other than adjusting the bodice for fit.


It really does fit me better than it fits the form!


The lace I chose did not have a scalloped edge, but I knew that the regular motifs could be trimmed to make a nice decorative edging. It was time consuming trimming all that lace, but I think it worked out well!


I hand-picked the center back zipper. SO much easier and prettier than trying to make it cooperate with the machine. 



The pattern calls for a lining in the bodice only. I used Bemberg rayon, which went in very nicely. I had to choose this icky beige color because my green lace was impossible to match. The lining was joined by machine at the neckline and finished by hand at the CB and waist seam. I like the lined bodice; so much nicer than fussing around with neck facings.


For the armscye seam, I followed the pattern's directions to hold the bodice and lining as one while setting the sleeve, then I serged that seam. In retrospect I probably should have kept the lining free and then hand-tacked it in place at the armhole as was done elsewhere.


This dress is currently on display at Treadle Yard Goods.

No comments:

Post a Comment