Sunday, August 9, 2015

Evening Bodice for the Green and Teal Bustle Dress

I planned to wear my Green and teal ruffled bustle dress to Costume College this year, but I wanted an evening look. I had saved just enough fabric to eke out this evening bodice to go with the skirts.


Having two bodices to go with your skirts is an economical way to get more mileage from expensive fabric. The Victorians did it, and we should too! 


I used the same bodice pattern as the day bodice for this dress, but altered the neckline and made the lower edge shorter all around, but especially shorter over the hips. Like the day bodice, it closes in the front with hooks and eyes, and has non-functional buttons made of grey silk sewn over wooden molds.

Also like the day bodice, it is flat-lined in light brown polished cotton, and the edges are finished with self fabric facings. There are spiral bones in the curved side back seams and straight white steels in the front darts and side seams.

The sleeve is a small puff with a fitted lining which I borrowed from an 1860s pattern.

Unfortunately, I ran out of time to trim this bodice up properly, so I just made a large double bow from the grey taffeta and pinned it to the bodice front.

I've accessorized with large rhinestone earrings and a rhinestone necklace (from Target!). In my hair I have white flowers and a pearl and rhinestone tiara. I carried the gold-ish patterned silk reticule I made for the day version. My hair is about half mine, and half false.

No comments:

Post a Comment