Katie sent me a delightful box of goodies. A pre-made, silk-covered blank bonnet from Timely Tresses was the base.
Loads of lovely flowers and ribbons from Etsy!
I consulted several fashion plates for design inspiration, including these. Katie asked me to just be creative with the design, and also said that more is more!
I started with a double layer of gathered cotton net. This was easily the most challenging part. It's very hard to do any sewing on the tight inner curves inside the bonnet.
I tacked the net at the far back, the edge of the brim, and at the midway point.
Flowers were next! I had several bunches of flowers, velvet leaves, glass berries, and golden and green sprigs to work with. I started with the ones for the inside of the brim. I gathered a few flowers and things into tiny bunches like so:
Then I wrapped their wire ends together and covered them with floral tape. If you've never used floral tape, you should know it's amazing. It has a papery texture, it stretches, and it only sticks to itself. Perfect for covering up all the wire and locking everything in place.
Several of the finished sprigs, before taping.
I sewed them down with white thread at the edge of the inside brim.
As I went along, I pulled the net over the stems and tacked it down to hide the stem ends.
I played with the layout a lot before committing. A lot of 1860s bonnets have just a few flowers, or one central bunch, or a bunch off to one side. Katie told me more is more, so I just went ahead and filled the whole inside brim!
I started sewing them to the leaf base, crossing their stems.
All sewn down!
Finally, I bent the stems back up to cover all the sewing. The finished piece!
I cut several loops of ribbon to pleat and lay under the flower piece.
To trim the outside, first I sewed two pieces of ribbon over the crown, pleated the long way to give them texture and help them shape over the curve. Then I added the loops and the floral piece right on top.
The last step was to add the chin ties. I used two lengths of ribbon, cut the ends at angles, and sewed tiny hems. Then I pleated up the other end into a little fat stack of pleats so it was only about 1/2" wide, and sewed it to the pointy tip of the bonnet brim.
The ties are about a yard long to make a nice full bow.
Here's Katie wearing this bonnet at an event in Gettysburg! I love the way it coordinates with her dress!
This was a super fun project. Trimming hats is definitely my cup of tea!

So pretty!
ReplyDeleteYou certainly have a knack for beautifully accenting a hat.
ReplyDeleteThis is a very informative and engaging blog post. I really enjoyed reading the content because it explains the topic in a simple and easy-to-understand way. The information shared here is useful for readers who want to learn something new and explore the subject in more detail. I especially liked the way the ideas are presented clearly with helpful details. Blogs like this are valuable because they provide practical knowledge while keeping readers interested. Thank you for sharing such useful and meaningful information. I will definitely explore more posts on this blog and recommend it to others who enjoy reading informative and helpful content online. business analytics course in delhi ncr
ReplyDeleteBoutique Management with Cutting & Tailoring in Delhi NCR.
Best Fashion Designing institute in Delhi NCR
Best Makeup Training Institute in Delhi NCR.