Saturday, February 6, 2021

Something Victorian-ish for the kid

I sewed something new! And we went out and had historical dress-up fun!

The Kid has really grown and absolutely none of the old historic outfits still fit. :( 

Plus we are now in a phase where dresses and frills are not so popular. That's tough for me, as a frilly-dress lover, but I can compromise if it means my kid will still attend events with me! 

I had a gorgeous piece of dark warm-grey wool with a very subtle red plaid stripe, and I decided to go for a look inspired by late 1890s bicycle wear, like these ones (more on my pinterest board):

 


Now it's true most of them include a jacket of some kind, and I really just wanted to make a vest and blouse. (And I even ran out of time before our event and just pulled an old blouse out of my closet. Oops!)

The pants pattern is just a basic pajama pattern that I added width to, then made my own pieces for waistband, kneebands, placket, and pocket. The vest is from a Burda pattern for a girl's school uniform jacket. In retrospect I could've made the front opening much higher. Both pieces are the same subtly-plaid wool. The vest is lined in black linen and the pants are unlined.


The boots were a lucky find at Target. The wool flat cap is an old one I made my husband. Most of the time we were out in the cold we added the capelet and muff. There's also some serious long underwear because brrr.

We had a good time playing with friends!


I wore my patterned wool polonaise.

It's definitely not perfectly historical, but it's historically-inspired and a lot of fun! Hoping to get some re-wear opportunities out of it for anything Victorian or steampunk we do in the next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment