Sunday, August 2, 2020

Doll Clothes and More!

For my new Wee Wonderfuls dolls, I used several of the clothes pieces that came with the pattern. I also modified a few and made up a couple of my own.


I had just as much fun making the clothes as the dolls, and once I started I didn't want to stop! For the first doll I made four outfits, using the Peasant Top, Basics Top and Bottom, Wide Leg Pants, and Pinafore, all from the pattern.


I made up this skirt - it's just a 24" rectangle with an elastic waist.


I used the pattern's Basics Top for both jammies and T-shirts, but I didn't like the way the back was left completely open. For this floral version, I scooped the neckline wider and lower so the shirt could fit over the doll's head, but it ended up too loose and baggy, so I threaded a tiny elastic through it and cinched it up a bit. For the jammies I left the back half-open with a small velcro at the top.


The peasant top and wide-leg pants I made as-is.



I modified the Peasant Blouse and Pinafore combo into a dress and apron. The Peasant Blouse just needed more length.



I made the Pinafore more open in back and changed the strap configuration.


So cute!


I really wanted to make undies, first of all because they are heckin' cute, but also because my niece is learning to dress herself and potty train, so this is a fun example for her!


White cotton knit with lacy elastic at the waist. The leg openings are left unhemmed because I couldn't get them to behave.


I improvised this undies pattern. It turned out. . . okayish!


Of course she needed a bag to carry all her things in!


To make the bag, I stacked up all her clothes and measured how much space they would need, then drafted the bag pattern just a little larger.


 Everything fit perfectly!


I made a few little accessories to round out the set. A snack: bread, lettuce, and a Babybel cheese (my niece's favorite!) a toothbrush, and a little book.


I also made a book for my niece all about her new doll! My sister asked that the doll arrive with a name already (so she wouldn't have to think of one!) so I made this book titled Hello From Louise. I had such a blast taking photos all over my house!


I made a paper/doodle mockup/storyboard first, then printed this on light cardstock at home. I didn't bother to print double-sided, I just glued the pages' wrong sides together. I joined the book by sewing a thick linen thread through the fold.


With all that done, the second doll needed some clothes, too! Her first outfit was pajamas, the same fabric as the first doll's.


You can just see a little of the velcro-top closure here.


Then a t-shirt and pants from some of my super-cool remnants.


Which just so happened to match a shirt I made for F last year!


Then a blousey peasant top and some linen pants.


Which ALSO matched an outfit The Kid already had! Yay for remnants!


Both dolls got wool felt shoes. I was nervous about them fitting but the pattern was perfect! And so easy to hand-sew in front of the tv.


I love them both! So much fun to make and dress!


Everything in this pattern worked great, and it was a fantastic deal for the doll pattern and her whole wardrobe in one! You can buy this pattern as a pdf here.

See my first post about constructing the dolls here.

No comments:

Post a Comment