Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Amy Butler Quilt

This quilt started out as a charm pack plus a few pieces of the Gypsy Caravan collection from Amy Butler. I've always loved Amy Butler's style and thought it would be fun to do a quilt with all the fabrics from one designer, for a cohesive look. Here's how it turned out!


Math: There are 36 blocks. The charm pack had 9 3/4" squares, so I cut my other fabrics the same. Each print has a solid colored border. The block finishes at about 13 1/2", with the inner print square finishing 9 1/4", and the solid borders about 2 1/8". The white sashing finishes at 1 3/4", with borders about 3". The whole quilt finishes about 96" x 96".


Process: So simple. First I sewed all the borders, then I had fun with layout. It was a challenge to get the blocks into a pleasing, random-looking order!


The finished top felt so huge! I hung it by one corner to get a picture. 


Then I set the finished quilt top aside for a few years while I got distracted by other stuff. When I decided it was time to finish it, I bought some extra-wide 108" muslin for the back (no piecing! yay!) and wool batting. I free-motion quilted it in a large meander pattern.


 I went through almost 4 big spools of white Gutermann quilting cotton for this. I really love doing the free-motion meandering, it's so hypnotic!


I did get a few sad spots on the back where little tucks got sewn down. I don't care much though because it's still cute, and it works! Take that, perfectionism!


Love the way it looks on my bed!


Here it is again with a kid!


4 comments:

  1. It came out so beautifully! I really love everything about it - the embroidery, the patterns, and yet, how simple the quilt blocks look. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is gorgeous! Love it with a kid!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The colors and design are so lovely! It's so bright and fresh looking, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that's a sizeable quilt! Love how it came out, such a great springy/summery palette.

    ReplyDelete